
My sweet grandmother, Shirley died unexpectedly this morning of a massive stroke in her brain stem. We are all going to miss her so much. She had a lot of problems in her old age but she was still a very delightful, independent, lovely lady. She loved her great-grandchildren and delighted in having them run up to her and give them loves, or hold them in her lap.
I basically grew up with her living in our home. When my grandpa died when I was 8 our family bought a new home with a downstairs and that was converted into a little apartment for her. That was 24 years ago!
After Shelbie got home from school today we broke the news to her. I, surprisingly, held myself together so that she wouldn't start to cry and be hysterical (which I was dreading that she would do when I told her) but she didn't. She asked lots of questions about the details of her death and then asked to see a picture of her. A few hours later I explained that when we go to visit Grandma and Grand Dad that we will probably be sleeping down at Gma Low's house (until Spencer and Erika move out) because Gma Low was not with us anymore and Shelbie so innocently asked "are her teeth going to heaven too?" We just lost it!!! :-)



5 comments:
Oh Stephanie - I am so sorry to hear about your Grandma. I am sorry it was so unexpected.
I am glad that Shelbie brought a smile to your face. Aren't kids amazing: just the right thing to say at unexpected moments.
Know that I am thinking about you and your family....
Priceless!!!
Thanks for sharing. It was exactly what I needed at that moment. It brought a smile to my face.
I love you Shelbie!!!
So sorry. She sounds like a great lady.
Sorry to hear about your sweet Grandma. She sounds like such an amazing lady . . . . just like you!
So sorry for your loss. She sounds like she was an amazing grandma. You were so lucky to have her in your life for so long.
Post a Comment