Shelbie: (having a worried look on her face like a "not again with another santa", probably has seen him too many times, all a little bit different looking.)
Scott: (in response to what might be brewing in Shelbie's brain) Shelbie, was that the "real" Santa or was it one of his helpers?
Shelbie: Dad, Santa is fake, I already know that.
Scott: HUH?! Why do you think that?
Shelbie: At the Harley store I saw the Santa do this (pretends to lift a fake beard from her face) so I know he wasn't real.
Scott: (thinking extremely quickly) Oh is THAT why you think that? The guy at the Harley shop was just the Santa to take pictures with...
Shelbie: ...
Scott: I thought you knew about this. There are Santa's helpers, and there are guys dressed up like Santa just for pictures or walking around and stuff. Did the Santa at the Harley shop ask you what you wanted for Christmas?
Shelbie: nooo....(interested in the logic)
Scott: That is because he was not a real Santa's helper. Santa has helpers that tell him what all the kids want for Christmas. When a person dressed up like Santa asks you what you want for Christmas, that is the way you know he is a Santa's helper. He tells Santa what you want for Christmas.
Shelbie: (the light of understanding on her face) OHHHHH....
Scott: Sorry I didn't tell you about that honey, I thought you knew that.
Shelbie: No, I didn't know that (smile on her face now)
Scott: (feeling like the best Dad in the world now) Yep, that is how it works I think. I don't think we EVER see the REAL Santa, just his helpers. How could we see him if he only comes when we are sleeping?
Shelbie: How does he get toys from the store?
Scott: The toys Santa cannot make he has the Santa's helpers buy for him, then he puts them in his sack and delivers them to the homes.
Shelbie: (very excited that this all makes sense now) Oh ok, I got it now.
Scott: Now that you know this, you don't need to tell your cousins or the twins because they think the Santa's helpers are the real Santa ok sweetheart?
Shelbie: ok.
Scott: (to himself) I wonder if she noticed the disclaimer when I said "I think that is how it all works."
12.18.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Love it! Scotts always been able to think quickly on his feet. What a great quality in a Dad. :) ;)
Ha- they are getting too smart! I'll have to use this explanation when necessary :)
That's hilarious! I think my parents used that explanation on us a couple of times as well.
That is the BEST! I love her- I love that this one was saved! I'm preparing for the day- E seems to be so logical sometimes it scares me!
Post a Comment